Policy on harassment and cyberbullying
Our top priority is the safety of our creators, viewers, and partners, and we rely on each of you to help us safeguard this vibrant community. It's critical that you understand our Community Standards and how they contribute to our shared responsibility of keeping Supernova safe. Please take the time to read the policy below carefully. You can also find a complete list of our rules on this page.
Supernova does not allow content that is threatening to individuals. We also don't allow content that insults someone for a long time or maliciously based on their intrinsic characteristics, such as their protected group status or physical characteristics.
Please report any content that you believe violates this policy. Here are the instructions for reporting violations of our Community Guidelines. You can report the account if you've found multiple violations.
If you receive specific threats and feel threatened, contact your local law enforcement agency immediately.
What does this mean to you?
If your content fits any of the descriptions below, don't post it on Supernova.
- Content that contains repeated slurs or malicious insults (such as racial slurs) based on their inherent characteristics. These characteristics include their protected group status, physical characteristics, or their status as a survivor of sexual assault, domestic violence, child abuse, and other forms of abuse.
- Content posted with the intention of humiliating, deceiving, or insulting a minor. A minor is someone who has not reached the legal age of majority. This usually refers to anyone under the age of 18, though the definition of a minor varies by country.
- Content that violates this policy in other ways
Exceptions to the rule
If the primary purpose of the content is educational, documentary, scientific, or artistic in nature, we may allow it. This does not give you permission to harass someone. Here are a few examples:
- Debates involving high-profile officials or leaders: Content that includes debates or discussions about current events involving people in positions of power, such as high-ranking government officials or CEOs of major multinational corporations.
- Scripted performances: Insults delivered through the medium of art, such as scripted satire, stand-up comedy, or music (e.g. a diss track). Note that this does not give you permission to harass someone and claim that "I was joking."
- Harassment education or awareness: Content that depicts real or simulated harassment for documentary purposes or with willing participants (e.g. actors) in order to combat cyberbullying or raise awareness.
Note: We take a tougher stance on content that maliciously insults someone based on their protected group status, whether or not they are a high-profile figure.
Penalties such as monetary fines and other sanctions
We may remove content or impose other penalties in rare cases when a creator:
- Encourages abusive audience behaviour on a regular basis.
- Throughout multiple uploads, repeatedly targets, insults, and abuses an identifiable individual based on their intrinsic characteristics.
- Puts a person at risk of physical harm because of the social or political context in which they live.
- Consistently incites hostility between creators for personal financial gain, resulting in content that harms the Supernova ecosystem.
Here are some examples of prohibited content on Supernova:
- Showing pictures of people and then making statements like "Look at this creature's teeth, they're so disgusting!" within the post, with similar commentary targeting intrinsic attributes.
- Making a personal attack on someone because they belong to a protected group, such as saying, "Look at this filthy [slur targeting a protected group], I wish they'd just get hit by a truck."
- Targeting a person and claiming they are a victim of human trafficking in the context of a dangerous conspiracy theory that is linked to direct threats or violent acts.
- Using a severe insult to dehumanise a person based on their inherent characteristics. “Look at this dog of a woman!” for example. She's not even a human — she's got to be a mutant or an animal!”
- Showing an identifiable person being murdered, seriously injured, or having a graphic sexual act performed on them without their consent.
- Accounts dedicated solely to the purpose of maliciously insulting a specific person.